Therapy and Support for Women in Jericho, NY and Throughout Long Island
Any person, no matter their gender identity or background, may find themselves struggling with mental health challenges. But there are many issues that are specific to or more common in women, and those issues often require someone that specializes in women’s mental health to address them in a way that is kind, caring, and focused on recovery.
Right Path Counseling has Long Island therapists that specialize in psychological and emotional wellness for women of all ages. Our counselors create a comforting and productive environment, and take the time to see you and know you so that you can get the care you need. Our office is in Jericho, NY, and we are happily accepting new patients. Please contact us via our online form, or call (516) 247-6457.
Mental Health Issues Specific to or More Common in Women
Women are more likely to struggle with their mental health than men, although the causes of this vary. Societal pressures and roles, parenting, likelihood of past trauma, hormonal changes during different life stages, and more all likely play a role.
Part of a therapist’s job is to try to really *see* you, in order to learn more about the origin of your struggles and the solutions that make the most sense for your personality and life stages. When we talk to you, we’ll try to get a better idea of not only what you’re struggling with, but why, and also know more about who you are as a person to know what approach is best.
Some of the issues that affect women specifically include:
- Post-Partum Depression – One of the most common conditions that affects primarily women is post-partum depression. Affecting at minimum 1 in 7 women, post-partum depression can be very sad, lonely, and stressful, and responds well to therapy.
- Perimenopause and Menopause – Most women are familiar with the effects of menopause on mental health. But what many women do not realize is that many years earlier, sometimes in the mid to late 30s, is the beginning of perimenopause, where hormone shifts can lead to increased anxiety, stress, insomnia, and more.
- Eating Disorders – Eating disorders can affect both men and women, but are 200%-700% more likely to affect women and gender minorities. How eating disorders manifest and why may also be specific to women.
- Infertility – Both men and women can experience issues with fertility, but women are more likely to experience negative mental health consequences as a result of infertility. Infertility therapists (therapists that are familiar working with couples struggling to conceive) can be very helpful in addressing these challenges.
- Societal Stresses – Women are more likely to face discrimination in the workplace, struggle with past domestic and sexual abuse, and may have familiar pressures that are directly related to their gender.
In addition, women are more likely to have other mental health conditions like anxiety and depression, which means that many women are faced with situations in which they might benefit from professional support.
About Our Long Island Therapists for Women at Right Path Counseling
Right Path Counseling is a mental health and psychotherapy office with therapists and couples counselors that specialize in women’s mental health issues. Our therapists recognize the importance of understanding the specific issues that can affect women in ways that harm their wellness, contentment, and happiness. We take time to get to know you, and offer a wide range of different evidence-based treatments to put you on the right path for your future.
Our patients come from a wide variety of backgrounds, and we are here to match you with someone that we feel will best help address your needs. If you want to learn more about our therapists, or get connected to someone that can help you, please contact Right Path Counseling today to get started.